Suite 4 (Ground Floor), 1329 Hay St, West Perth WA 6005
External image

Partner Visa (Subclasses 820 and 801) (Onshore)

This visa facilitates you to immigrate to Australia on a permanent basis when you are married to or in a de facto relationship with an:

  • Australian Citizen
  • Australian Permanent Resident
  • Eligible New Zealand Citizen


It is imperative that you must be in a genuine and ongoing relationship.

This visa is processed in two stages. The first stage is to apply for the Temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820), and the second stage is to apply for the Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801).

When you are granted the Temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820), you can stay in Australia until the time the Department of Immigration makes a decision about your Permanent Partner Visa application. You can work, study (without Government funding) and can also enrol in Medicare.

Once your Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801) is granted, you will have access to an indefinite stay in Australia, work and study in Australia, apply for Australian Citizenship (if you are eligible) and can enjoy many other privileges.

It is crucial that you must live with your partner, and if there is any period of separation, it must be only temporary. In most cases, permanent residence cannot be granted in less than two years from when you lodge your application. However, there can be some exceptional circumstances when you could be granted a permanent visa without having to fulfil the usual two-year waiting period.

You and anyone included in your application must be in Australia when the application is lodged and at the time of the visa grant.

Other necessary requirements are:

  1. Health requirements: It applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application.
  2. Character requirements: You need to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.
  3. Debts to the Australian Government: There must not be any outstanding debts to the Australian Government.
  4. Provide biometrics: It is a scientific form of identification that you might be asked to provide.

Australian Visas Categories:

Tourist and Visitor Visas

The Visitor visa is used by foreign nationals to travel…

Read more
Partner and Family Visas

Partner visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of…

Read more
Student Visa

International students who want to come to Australia to study…

Read more
Employer Sponsored Visas

Employer Sponsored visa lets skilled workers who are nominated by…

Read more
Temporary Graduate – 485 Visa

The 485 visa is a temporary working visa that allows…

Read more