Suite 4 (Ground Floor), 1329 Hay St, West Perth WA 6005
External image

Student Visa (Subclass 500)

International students who want to come to Australia to study full-time at a registered educational institution must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500). The Student visa allows students to come to Australia and study on a full-time basis at a registered education institution.


Academic Entry Requirements

Academic requirements (including English language level) will vary depending on the course you want to study. Please read the course entry requirements on each education provider’s website carefully or contact us directly if you need further information.


General Guidance 

Vocational education and training (VET): In most cases, there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may require you to have studied specific subjects or completed work experience.

Higher education undergraduate courses: You will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12) or equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific prerequisite subjects.

Higher education postgraduate course: You must have completed at least one degree at the undergraduate level. Education providers may also consider your research ability or relevant work experience.

For the Student visa, among other things the student must satisfy the:

  • Enrolment in a full-time registered course of study with evidence of Letter of Offer and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE);
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements: The legislative requirement requires the student to be a ‘genuine applicant for entry and stay as a student’. Students must provide a written statement stating their intention to study temporarily in Australia. All applicants (whether in or outside Australia) must satisfy the Department that the applicant is a ‘genuine temporary entrant’ and ‘genuine student’ who: seeks to enter/stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of the study; will abide by visa conditions; and will not become an unlawful non-citizen. The GTE requirement applies to all visa applicants.
  • English requirement: Unless exempt, visa applicants must provide documentary evidence of their English requirement. Entry requirements vary between institutions and according to the level of English language course, prospective students want to study. English language skills required by an institution can be different from the level of skill needed for your student visa application.
  • Health requirements: The Australian Government requires all international students to be in good health before entering the country.
  • Character requirements. It would be best if you were of good character to visit or live in Australia. This means you must pass the character test, and remain of good character.
  • Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC): Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health insurance to assist international students to meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. The Department of Home Affairs requires student visa holders and their dependants to have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia (visa length health cover).
  • Financial Requirement: Evidence that you have genuine access to funds that can cover your transit to, your stay and your study while you are in Australia.


Family members (spouse and children) can be included in the application as dependents.

Note: If there is any dependent applicant(s) between 5 – 17 years of age, evidence of enrolment in an Australian school is required.

Work Rights: Australian Student Visa allows you to study and work in Australia. You should have a Tax File Number (TFN) to work in Australia. The student visa allows you to work legally part-time (up to 40 hours every 2 weeks). However, the student may work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.

Visa compliance: Once you have received your visa, there are requirements you must meet in order for it to remain valid, including;

  • You must remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance.
  • If you wish to change your qualification level, you may need to apply for a new student visa.
  • Provide your Australian address to your institution so they can contact you, and let them know if you change the address.
  • You must continue to be able to support yourself financially while you’re in Australia.
  • Do not breach the working conditions applicable to your visa. Visa conditions are the rules of your visa that are set by the Australian Government. It is important that you understand your visa conditions, as the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) may cancel your visa if you breach them.

Apply for your student visa with us

Our team members are highly knowledgeable and updated on Australia’s relevant immigration and education legislation. We will assist you with the student visa lodgement, and with the following additional services:

  • Academic and career advisement towards skilled migration
  • Enrolment in Schools, Colleges, and Universities
  • Assistance in Obtaining a Letter of Offer and Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the education provider (College and universities)
  • Assistance with organising student health cover

Australian Visas Categories:

Tourist and Visitor Visas

The Visitor visa is used by foreign nationals to travel…

Read more
Partner and Family Visas

Partner visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of…

Read more
Student Visa

International students who want to come to Australia to study…

Read more
Employer Sponsored Visas

Employer Sponsored visa lets skilled workers who are nominated by…

Read more
Temporary Graduate – 485 Visa

The 485 visa is a temporary working visa that allows…

Read more